Macy’s is a department store chain in the United States that sells mid-to-high-end merchandise. Macy’s stores sell a wide range of merchandise, including clothing, bedding, shoes, small electronics, jewellery, cosmetics, a gift registry, and home décor items. In addition, Macy’s Corp., in collaboration with Department Stores National Bank (DSNB), provides an in-store credit card with member-only discounts and incentives. You can apply for a Macy’s credit card online, in-store, or by phone.
Part 1 Applying for the Card Online
1. Navigate to the Macy’s website. Filling out the form online is the simplest way to apply for a Macy’s credit card. You can do so from the comfort of your own home. Go to the Macy’s corporate website. There should be a search bar at the top of the screen. Enter “Macy’s Credit Card.” You should be given a list of buttons, one of which should say “Apply Now.” Select this button.
2. Fill in your personal information. You will then be taken to a screen that requests a variety of personal information. First, you’ll be prompted to provide basic contact information. Your full name, e-mail address, address, city, state, zip code, and phone number will be required by Macy’s.
In addition, you will be asked to provide some very basic financial information. This is to see if you are a good candidate for a Macy’s credit card. You must enter your annual income as well as your residential status (do you rent or own?). Then, enter your monthly rent or mortgage payment.
You’ll need to enter some sensitive information during the application process, so make sure you’re using a secure WiFi or ethernet connection to connect to the internet. It is recommended that you do not use public WiFi for this portion of the application. You must enter your birth date, social security number, and driver’s licence number.
You must scan and include a photo ID, such as a passport or driver’s licence, with your application. If you don’t have a scanner, you can use one at a nearby print shop and e-mail the scanned image to yourself. Fill out the Macy’s credit card application from a computer at a print shop, however.
3. Check your information and then apply. After entering this information, you will be asked to check a box indicating that you agree to the terms and conditions. You will then be taken to a screen that summarises the data you just entered. You will be asked to confirm the accuracy of this information. After that, you can apply for the card.
Make a careful reading of the information to ensure that it is correct. You do not want to be denied a credit card because of a minor error, such as incorrectly entering your social security number.
It might be a good idea to wait a half hour or so before reviewing your information. If some time has passed, you may be more likely to notice your own mistakes.
Part 2 Applying for the Card in the Store
1. Inquire at the counter. You may be able to apply for a card in-store at some Macy’s locations. For a variety of reasons, you may prefer to submit a paper application. Inquire at the store if you can apply for a basic Macy’s credit card there. You can inquire with a cashier at the counter or at the customer service desk.
2. Complete the paper application. If you want to apply for a card in-store, you must fill out a paper application. Basic personal information, such as your name and address, as well as sensitive information, such as your social security number, will be required. Depending on the store’s policies, you may be required to provide a copy of your driver’s licence.
Because you may not have all of the necessary materials or information on hand, you will most likely have to complete the application at home and submit it to the store the following day.
3. In-store, apply for a Macy’s American Express card. The Macy’s American Express card is a version of the Macy’s card that can be obtained if you already have a Macy’s credit card. The main benefit of the American Express card is that it can be used at any store that accepts American Express, not just Macy’s. It also provides rewards ranging from 1% to 3% of purchases, depending on how much money you spend at Macy’s. If you shop at Macy’s frequently, the American Express card may be worthwhile. There is no online application process for a Macy’s American Express card, so you must apply in-store.
As previously stated, you must already have a Macy’s credit card in order to apply for an American Express card. Only in-store applications for American Express cards are accepted.
At the counter, you can request an application. You can fill out the application at home if you bring it with you. Much of the same basic contact and financial information will be requested as in the previous application. It may also request your current Macy’s credit card number.
When applying for a Macy’s American Express, you may be required to provide a copy of your photo ID. If this is the case, go to a nearby print shop and have a copy made.
When you’re finished with your application, you can drop it off at the store.
4. If you have any questions about your application, please call. You can contact the Macy’s corporation if you have any questions while filling out an application. You can call the number listed on their website or go to your nearest Macy’s. A worker should be able to give you more information about the application process.
Part 3 Obtaining Your Card
1. Allow 7 to 10 days. An application takes 7 to 10 days to process on average. You will usually receive a letter or an e-mail informing you that your application was accepted. Your card should arrive shortly after that.
Macy’s store cards are a little more difficult to obtain than most store credit cards. Macy’s store cardholders have fairly high credit scores on average. If your credit score is in the lower range, your application may be denied. A variety of free websites allow you to check your credit score online.
If you were frequently late on payments for your regular Macy’s credit card, you may be rejected if you apply for an American Express card.
Unfortunately, if you are rejected, there isn’t much you can do but wait and try to improve your credit. It may be worthwhile to reapply in a year or so.
2. Receive your greeting card in the mail. If you are approved for a Macy’s credit card, you should receive your card in the mail within a few weeks of being notified that your application was accepted. To avoid losing your card, keep it in a secure location. As soon as you receive the letter, remove the card and place it in your wallet for safekeeping.
3. Activate your credit card. When you receive your Macy’s credit card, you must activate it. You can activate your card by visiting Macy’s website and clicking the “Activate My Card” button. You will then enter information such as your name and birth date, as well as your credit card number. Following that, your card should be activated.
If you are unable to navigate the website, you can call Macy’s customer service department at 1-888-257-6757 to activate your card. Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, and Sunday, 11 p.m. to 8 p.m. EST.
Part 4 Being Responsible
1. Discover the benefits and drawbacks of a store credit card. There are several advantages and disadvantages to using a Macy’s store credit card. Before committing to applying for the card, spend some time learning about its benefits and drawbacks.
The benefits are that most store credit cards provide discounts and promotions to cardholders. Macy’s offers 1.5 percent cash back on purchases with American Express if you spend $500 to $999 per year. If you spend more than $1,000 per year at Macy’s, you will receive 3% cash back on purchases. If you shop at Macy’s frequently, the card may be worth the money. A store card can also aid in the development of your credit history.
Store cards typically have extremely high interest rates. You may also be tempted to spend money that you would otherwise save in order to meet spending quotas for store rewards. If you are not a frequent Macy’s customer and have doubts about your ability to pay off the card on a regular basis, you may be better off avoiding a Macy’s credit card.
2. Pay off your balance on a regular basis. Each month, you should pay off your Macy’s store card balance in full. This way, you can avoid paying interest. Online payment is the quickest way to pay off your credit card. You can access your account by going to the Macy’s website and clicking “Make a Payment.” You will then be directed to a screen where you can enter your debit, credit, or bank account number. If you have a habit of forgetting deadlines, you can set up an AutoPay system that transfers a set amount of money from your bank account to your Macy’s card each month. Set up AutoPay to pay the balance in full each month to avoid interest.
You can also mail checks to the Macy’s location associated with your credit card. However, this payment method may take longer, so make sure to mail in checks well before payments are due.
You can also pay by phone by dialling 1-888-257-6757.
3. Maintain a close eye on interest rates. As previously stated, store card interest rates are notoriously high. The interest rate on a Macy’s card is 25% per month. As a result, do not charge more on your Macy’s card than you can afford to pay each month. It quickly adds up, and credit card debt can have a negative impact on your credit.
Creative Commons License